6 imagesIN PROGRESS I have been told that the lobby windows were taken from the previous church on this site.
71 imagesHoly Redeemer Catholic Church, Bar Harbor. Architect: Victor Hodgins of Bangor, completed in 1908. The first Catholic church in Bar Harbor was called St. Silvia’s (also spelled 'Sylvia's'). During Holy Redeemer's construction that name was used for the new building as well, so for a few years there were two 'St. Silvias' in Bar Harbor. Newspaper articles distinguished between the two by referring to 'St. Sylvia’s on Kebo Street’ and 'St. Sylvia’s at the corner of Ledgelawn and Mount Desert Street.’ The first St. Silvia’s was torn down in 1909 and the name of the new church was changed in 1910.
21 imagesWork in progress: St. Edward's Convent, Bar Harbor, Maine (now a private residence). Architect: Milton Stratton of Bar Harbor, 1917. Windows by the Century Stained Glass Works of Philadelphia, 1917. St. Edward's was planned and funded by Louise Drexel Morrell (Mrs. Edward de Veau Morrell) whose sister, Saint Katharine Drexel, founded the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, the order associated with this convent. The windows in the chapel represent the patron saints of Mrs. Morrell, her husband, and members of her family. Together with the Ledgelawn Avenue rectory and St. Edward's School (now an apartment building) behind them on Shannon Way, the convent formed part of the complex of buildings associated with Holy Redeemer Catholic Church.
56 imagesIN PROGRESS: St. Saviour's Episcopal Church, Bar Harbor. Architects: C. C.Haight of New York City; Rotch & Tilden of Boston; Baker and Dallett of Philadelphia. 1877-1902. St. Saviour's has been extensively redesigned and rebuilt through the years. The original building, now the south transept, was designed by C. C.Haight of New York City and constructed 1877-78. In 1885-86 a new design by Rotch & Tilden of Boston added the nave, a semi-circular apse, and the tower. In 1901-2 Baker and Dallett of Philadelphia replaced the 1886 apse with the current chancel, chapel and sacristy. St. Saviour's is the largest church on the island, with a correspondingly large collection of stained glass windows.